I've built a rework concept for Genji because after numerous nerfs, adjustments and tweaks, Genji has become a staple.... "win more" hero. He doesn't feel fun to play, nor does he feel particularly impactful. I will address his issues with bullet points.
- Genji has to get within melee range to start putting out meaningful damage (Strike at the Heart, Shuriken Shotgunning, DragonClaw. Dragon Blade ) That in itself isn't the problem, the problem is his low health pool and lack of sustain ( Deflect lasts for 1.25 seconds and can be stunned and silenced out of ) only allows him to get in for a kill, deflect some damage and get out immediately before getting counter engaged on. In the current roster of heroes, counter engaging Genji is extremely easy to do.
- This relegates him to being "passive" in team fights, throwing out basic attacks and the odd Q until a particular hero gets low enough to be finished off with a Swift Strike. This playstyle is ineffective in the current "meta" that favors 2 front line heroes who can shrug off whatever damage his basic attack/q combination can do at range.
- The passive playstyle gives him little to no control over teamfights as he has to wait for the other other team to get low enough before his own abilities effectiveness can be maximized. (dash in, clean up with swift strike or the odd basic attack/ shuriken or make it look flashy with dragon blade.) The lack of control is especially detrimental when his team is forced to team fight 2 levels down, and almost always extremely difficult for a team with Genji to climb from a deficit, unless a squishy or a tank at low health is caught out. Even then, Genji has to chase down one hero at a time rather than, for example, land a Ring of Frost as a Jaina and turn a 5 v 5 into a 5 v 3 or 5 v 2 with her combo; or as Zeratul, cast a void prison on 3 enemy heroes, kill off the over extending hero come back and complete a 4 man team wipe.
- Despite being categorized as a "ranged assassin", Genji has short basic attack range, well within the range of melee assassins to jump him with one of their range closing abilities and he gets out traded by most members of both classes every time due to the lack of sustain and relatively low health pool.
In short, even with hyper mobility, Genji, as a single target close range burst assassin with no sustain, low healthpool, poor wave clear and no CC cannot compete in today's Heroes of the Storm. This rework concept is aimed at making him an active participant within team fights by giving him sustain, beefing up his basic attack damage along with fine tuning a couple talents ( This was done with a lot of number crunching aka math and not on a whim.) I've also listed some of the changes in a list below
1. Reduce damage of base Swift Strike by 21% from 190 to 150 and range from 12 to 10. Swift Strike resets will be narrowed to a 1 second window.
2. Reduced damage bonus of Shingan by 1/3rd but now it cleaves at a range of 1.5 around the target for area damage.
3. Making Dragon Claw into a basic ability.
4. Added sustain and CC lessening talents to his lv 16 to help him stay in the front lines.
5. Reduce "potential" damage of Dragon Blade by reducing it's duration by 1/3 to 5 seconds but increase its "practical" damage by increasing damage dealt per slash by a third as well.
6. Increasing applicability of X-strike during team fights by adding bonus damage on next slash if current slash hits heroes and shortening the delay between the first 2 slashes and final slash. There no reason why it takes 6 X-strikes (5 resets) to kill a earn a quad kill against a clumped team, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPf6NaEI9UA&feature=youtu.be&t=67 ), and 4 X-Strikes (3 resets) seem to hurt a diablo less than 2 hits from Kharazim's 7 sided strike ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBeR9-PO_v8 ).
7. Giving it a percentage damage talent at level 13 to Swift Strike aimed at dealing with heavy frontline compositions. While moving "Flow Like Water" down to level 4. Reworked damage of a fully upgraded Swift Strike is significantly less terrifying compared to current swift strike against squishy heroes (622 hp (at level 20 on a Valla) vs 993 (strike at the heart + final cut, on any hero)) while more potent against front-line (1141 hp ( rework at lv 20 on a Diablo with 100 souls vs 993. ))
8. Balance out the risk vs reward of his auto attacks. Increasing his basic attack damage to 150 (50*3 instead of the current 44*3) and attack speed to 1.25/second while keeping the range the same.
9. Make playing the character more fun. :)
Hoped you enjoy reading this. Constructive feedback would be appreciated as adjustments and revisions will be made.
Visit https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/d3ihn8/genji_making_him_competitive_and_fun_in_2019_a/ to discuss how to bring Genji back to a viable state.